PRETORIA - The Presidency has dismissed what it calls incorrect media reports relating to discussions in a meeting between President Jacob Zuma and ANC President, Cyril Ramaphosa.
The two leaders met last week Sunday at the Dr John Langalibalele Dube residence in Durban.
This was the first formal meeting between the two since Ramaphosa succeeded Zuma as head of the governing party in December.
“They discussed several issues updating each other on matters in both government and the governing party,” the Presidency said in a statement.
“The two leaders met alone, and reports of other leaders being present are false.”
“Among issues discussed, President Zuma briefed Deputy President Ramaphosa on his plans to institute a commission of inquiry into state capture.”
Two days following that meeting, Zuma announced a commission of inquiry into allegations of State Capture to be headed by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo.
There have been media reports that Zuma’s tenure at the Union Buildings could be curtailed as pressure mounts on him to resign or be recalled.
The Presidency has rubbished reports that Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma could be appointed deputy president.
“Further incorrect reports have been published indicating alleged demands said to have been made by President Zuma to have former AU Commission chairperson Dr Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma appointed as Deputy President of the Republic, the Presidency further said.
“No such discussion has taken place and no such demand has been made anywhere by President Zuma.”
The Presidency said Zuma and Ramaphosa would meet regularly to ensure synergy between the governing party and government since Zuma is no longer a member of the ANC top six officials.
“It would enable the Deputy President to keep the Head of State and Government abreast of issues discussed by the leadership of the governing party.”