SABC offices in Auckland Park, Johannesburg. Picture: Lenyaro Sello/eNCA.
JOHANNESBURG - The Right2Know (R2K) Campaign has staged a sit in at the SABC’s headquarters in Auckland Park on Wednesday to confront management.
This comes after four of the fired journalists were barred from entering the building when they reported for duty earlier in the day.
The Labour Court ruled on Tuesday that the dismissal of Krivani Pillay, Suna Venter, Foeta Krige and Jacques Steenkamp by the public broadcaster was unlawful and they must be reinstated.
However the SABC said it will appeal the Labour Court ruling that overturned the dismissal of the quartet.
The R2K has condemned the SABC’s actions and has called for the end to victimisation against the staff.
“This morning, the journalists were informed that they are not allowed to enter the building because the SABC is appealing Judge Le Grange’s ruling,” R2K said in a statement.
“R2K strongly condemn the continuous victimisation of staff who dare question unethical editorial decisions. SABC COO, Hlaudi Motsoeneng must stop treating the SABC as his own private entity to please those who are in power.
“It is a public broadcaster that is supposed to serve the people.”