Sanral resumes work after Anthrax scare

File image: Sanral was operating at full capacity on Wednesday following an evacuation of the building, the Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) said. Photo: Sapa

JOHANNESBURG - Sanral was operating at full capacity on Wednesday following an evacuation of the building, the Electronic Toll Collection (ETC) said.

"Employees are back at work today, and everything is running normally," said ETC CEO Jamie Surkont.

The Tshwane hazardous material unit was called to the SA National Roads Agency Limited's nerve centre on Tuesday afternoon after a "suspicious envelope containing a white substance" was found on the premises. By Wednesday, Sanral officials said the substance was not found to be dangerous. 

"Upon investigation, the white substance was found to be harmless," SA National Roads Agency Limited CEO Nazir Alli said in a statement. "Our priority was to ensure the safety of the people working in the building. They received trauma counselling for the anxiety caused by this incident."

Alli did not say what the powder was. The Tshwane hazardous material unit was called to Sanral's offices on Tuesday afternoon after the substance was found on the premises. The building was evacuated and its electricity shut down.

Thirty-seven people were decontaminated and hospitalised as a precaution. All of them had been discharged by Wednesday morning.

Alli said the evacuation did not compromise the toll collection process and toll gantries remained operational.

"The call centre was however affected due to the evacuation of staff but is currently operating at full capacity."

Sanral said it was co-operating with authorities to find the perpetrator.

Sapa

Discussion Policy

eNCA.com would like to send you push notifications.
Notifications can be turned off any time in your browser settings.
You have been registered for browser notifications