WATCH: SAPS finally axes Richard Mdluli

WEB_PHOTO_Richard_Mdluli_170414

FILE image. Suspended Crime Intelligence Head Richard Mdluli at the Boksburg Magistrate's Court on June 24, 2011 in Johannesburg.

PRETORIA – Long-suspended crime intelligence boss Richard Mdluli has been relieved off his duties from the South African Police Service.

Police Minister Fikile Mbalula made the announcement at a media briefing on Wednesday.

 

 

Mdluli had been suspended from the police since March 2011.

He and former policeman Mthembeni Mthunzi are accused of kidnapping and killing the husband of Mdluli&39;s ex-girlfriend in 1999.

 

While he has been on suspension for nearly seven years, Mdluli has continued to earn a full salary, with benefits.

Mbalula said of Mdluli’s axing: "This enables us to move to the next chapter and instil stability and vision at crime intelligence.” 

EAD: Gupta probe: Hawks will cooperate with FBI

Mbalula said he had instructed national police commissioner Lieutenant-General Khehla Sitole to appoint Mdluli’s successor without further delay.

The absence of a permanent crime intelligence head had created a lack of accountability, he said.

“It is in the interests of South Africa that we have a crime intelligence body that has leadership and can function.

“If we say we have a crime intelligence-led approach, it means that crime intelligence must have a head and a person who can function.

“I have nothing against Mdluli, but there are issues that he faced that have brought litigation to a standstill and the state and the people of South Africa were not beneficiaries.”

Sithole said Mdluli was persuaded to leave his position because he was close to retirement.