SCA denies Motsoeneng leave to appeal

Photo_Web_Hlaudi_Motsoeneng_071215

The SABC's Chief Operations Officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng is accused of gross dishonesty, misconduct and the abuse of power.

JOHANNESBURG - The Supreme Court of Appeal has dismissed SABC chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng&39;s application for leave to appeal a Western Cape High Court ruling that invalidated his appointment.

The court had found that Motsoeneng&39;s appointment from acting  to permanent COO  was irrational and invalid. 

The controversial figure and the troubled national broadcaster have been in the spotlight over the past few months, with Motsoeneng banning visuals of violent protests, and the suspension of journalists who questioned his rulings.

DA leader Mmusi Maimane said on Monday Motsoeneng must leave the SABC without delay.

WATCH: Top ten Hlaudi Motsoeneng quotes

The SCA court order on Monday said: “The application for leave to appeal is dismissed with costs on the grounds that there is no reasonable prospect of success in an appeal and there is no other compelling reason why it should be heard.”

Chairperson of the DA’s federal executive James Selfe said Motsoeneng had been unsuccessful in almost all courts in which he has sought to keep his job.

“He and his band of protectors now need to abandon this abuse of our judicial system and the taxpayer’s money [from which] millions of rands have already [been] plundered.”

In 2014, the Public Protector found Motsoeneng lied about his qualifications, acted in bad faith, and abused his power.

 

Paid Content