Search for trapped Sibanye miner continues

Photo_Web_Sibanye_Stilwater_130618

File: The search for the fifth mineworker trapped underground continues at Sibanye-Stillwater Kloof mine.

File: The search for the fifth mineworker trapped underground continues at Sibanye-Stillwater Kloof mine.

Photo_Web_Sibanye_Stilwater_130618

File: The search for the fifth mineworker trapped underground continues at Sibanye-Stillwater Kloof mine.

File: The search for the fifth mineworker trapped underground continues at Sibanye-Stillwater Kloof mine.

JOHANNESBURG - The search for the fifth mineworker trapped underground continues at Sibanye-Stillwater Kloof mine, the company said on Wednesday.

Sibanye confirmed late on Tuesday that the body of a fourth worker had been retrieved from the abandoned stope ore pass by the specialised proto teams after it was located earlier in the day.

READ: Mantashe meets mine, unions after fatalities

Five mineworkers entered an abandoned working area on Monday morning and died due to poor ventilation at Sibanye&39;s Kloof Ikamva shaft near Westonaria, south-west of Johannesburg.

While Sibanye said a thorough investigation will be undertaken into the incident, Mineral Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe said that the company should be held accountable for the death of mineworkers.