A stun grenade thrown by South African police forces ricochet on a student taking part in a protest in Johannesburg.
JOHANNESBURG - A contract worker at Wits University, who fell ill last week after allegedly being overcome by carbon dioxide fumes from a fire extinguisher, died over the weekend.
The worker was affected last Tuesday after protesting students released fire extinguishers in the Jubilee Hall residence.
He was taken to the campus health and wellness centre and later transferred to a hospital where he was treated for a few days before being discharged.
Wits received a report today of the death.
The cause of the worker&39;s death has not yet fully been determined, but the university is conducting its own investigation of the incident while it awaits a report from his employer.
Wits Vice Chancellor, Adam Habib has commented on the incident: