File: Running burns more calories than any other mainstream exercise.
CAPE TOWN – A 26-member national road running preparation squad has been announced ahead of two major international championships to be held in the first few months of the 2018 season.
The squad, which includes 14 men and 12 women, is divided into two groups. One for the IAAF World Half-Marathon Championships in Seville, Spain in March and the other for marathons at the Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia in April.
Four men in the squad – Stephen Mokoka, Elroy Gelant, Melikhaya Frans and Mbongeni Ngxazozo – and five women – Diana-Lebo Phalula, Mapaseka Makhanya, Cornelia Joubert, Zintle Xiniwe and Ntombesintu Mfunzi – have been selected in the provisional groups for both events.
With these events being held just two weeks apart, however, athletes will need to choose between competing in one or the other.
Three athletes in the marathon squad for the Games – Gelant, Frans and Maria Shai – have not yet run 42km races, but they are expected to make their debuts at the Sanlam Cape Town Marathon later this month.
ASA will submit a preliminary Commonwealth Games marathon team to the SA Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (Sascoc) in the first week of January, and will also announce a provisional half-marathon team for the World Championships early in the new year.
ASA squad for Commonwealth Games in Australia:
1. Lebo Phalula (CGA0 2:33:48
2. Mapaseka Makhanya (CGA0 2.37.19
3. Lebogang Phalula (CGA) 2.38.00
4. Cornelia Joubert (CGA) 2.39.37
5. Zintle Xiniwe (WPA) 2.41.49
6. Ntombesintu Mfunzi (EPA) 2.49.38
7. Kataza Shipalana (AGN) 2.54.12
8. Maria Shai (CGA) Debut
1. Stephen Mokoka (AGN) 2.07.40
2. Desmond Mokgobu (CGA) 2.10.51
3. Sibusiso Nzima (CGA) 2.11.43
4. Lungile Gongqa (WPA) 2.11.59
5. Michael Mazibuko (CGA) 2.12.29
6. Lucky Mohale (CGA) 2.13.35
7. Xolisa Tyali (CGA) 2.14.26
8. Mbongeni Ngxazozo (CGA) 2.18.23
9. Elroy Gelant (ACNW) Debut
10. Melikhanya Frans (EPA) Debut
ASA squad for IAAF world half marathon champs:
1. Cornelia Joubert (CGA) 1:12:31
2. Mapaseka Makhanya (CGA) 1:12:43
3. Diana-Lebo Phalula (CGA) 1:14:25
4. Janet Dlamini (KZNA) 1:15:06
5. Zintle Xiniwe (WPA) 1:15:33
6. Nolene Conrad (WPA) 1:15:41
7. Ntombesintu Mfunzi (EPA) 1:17:31
8. Christine Kalmer (CGA) 1:18:36
1. Stephen Mokoka (AGN) 1:01:21
2. Elroy Gelant (ACNW) 1:01:30
3. Precious Mashele (AGN) 1:01:56
4. Melikhaya Frans (EPA) 1:01:58
5. Mbongeni Ngxazozo (CGA) 1:02:47
6. Joel Mmone (ACNW) 1:03:01
7. Thabang Mosiako (ACNW) 1:03:09
8. Gladwin Mzazi (CGA) 1:03:4.