Cape Town City snatch late equaliser against SuperSport


Aubrey Ngoma of Cape Town City FC and Renielwe Letsholonyane of Supersport United during the 2016 ABSA Premiership match between Cape Town City FC and Supersport United at the Cape Town Stadium,CAPE TOWN, on 16 December 2016

CAPE TOWN – Cape Town City scored deep in added time to earn a 1-1 draw with SuperSport United in a pulsating league game at the Cape Town Stadium on Friday evening.

It proved to be a riveting encounter between the league’s two top sides, the quality of the Eric Tinkler and Stuart Baxter’s teams very much in evidence.

SuperSport seemed destined for the win when Kingston Nkhatha rounded off a brilliant 83rd minute counter attack, but home captain Lebogang Manyama was in the right place at the right time to fire in a dramatic 93rd-minute equaliser.



The point keeps City three points above SuperSport at the top of the PSL table and ensures they will remain log leaders after this weekend’s upcoming action. A win would have taken the Pretoria side top on goal difference.

The Cape outfit appeared bright and breezy in the first half, their poor performance in the 4-0 loss to Platinum Stars three days earlier seemingly out of their minds.

SuperSport also looked good, but only for the opening few minutes during which time there were shots on goal for Reneilwe Letsholonyane and Nkhatha, neither of which had not troubled the home goal.

READ: Cape Town City in dreamland with TKO final win

Some incisive play from City on 10 minutes created an opening for Judas Moseamedi, but he wasn’t able to beat visiting keeper Reyaad Pieterse from close range.

The Cape side continued to look dangerous in attack and Sibusiso Masina was not far off the mark with a 20-metre snapshot.

The Tshwane men had to wait until the last few seconds of the first half for another strike at goal, Thabo Mnyamane cutting in from the right and hitting a crisp shot, but it was straight at goalkeeper Shu-aib Walters.

A storming run nine minutes after halftime by Moseamedi saw him picking out Manyama at the far post, but he blasted his shot from a tight angle into the side net.

Matsatsantsa were to show more purpose up front after the restart and after a succession of corners, Dean Furman went close with a half-volley from just outside the box on 58 minutes.

The match was now delicately poised and an absorbing encounter, the two sides trading blow for blow as Letsholonyane sent a header over goal before Manyama’s rasping strike was superbly blocked by Clayton Daniels.

It was a scintillating counter attack that SuperSport scored, Cole Alexander winning the ball on the half way line and feeding it to Aubrey Modiba. Modiba played in Letsholonyane, who unselfishly laid the ball into the path of his former Chiefs team-mate Nkhatha, who finished clinically on 82 minutes.



SuperSport seemed headed for maximum points, but City kept on fighting and had the equaliser just before full time when Manyama pounced in the box to score after Pieterse had failed to hold onto a cross.