DStv Channel 403 Monday, 16 February 2026

E-hailing association credits social media for break in murder case

PRETORIA - Social media and digital tracking tools played a pivotal role in tracking down suspects linked to the murder of Pretoria West e-hailing driver Isaac Satlat.

The Pretoria West e-Hailing Association says the viral circulation of dashcam footage showing the 22-year-old’s attack gave their search immediate momentum.

Association chairperson Wandisile Rala says the widespread sharing of the video helped members identify one of the suspects while they were conducting their own ground search.

Satlat had been working as an e-hailing driver for just two months and had no prior incidents. 

READ: E-hailing driver's family pleads for help to repatriate his body

He was one of five drivers employed by the vehicle’s owner, who asked not to be named while investigations continue. 

After the murder, the owner -- a member of the association -- contacted them for assistance.

App records show Satlat picked up his passengers on Christoffel Street, near the Quagga Shopping Centre in Pretoria West last Wednesday. 

GPS data captured his movements as he drove off, unaware of what would follow.

“We went everywhere,” said Rala. “We had the woman’s picture and followed clues from the vehicle tracker and the app’s GPS.”

READ: Three linked to murder of e-hailing driver abandon bail application

Their search intensified after they were directed to an associate of the woman seen in the video. The associate denied involvement but led them to an apartment where she allegedly stayed.

“While we were there, police called to say she had handed herself in,” Rala said.

Dikeledi Mphela (25), Gotseone Machidi (26) and McClaren Mushwana (30) appeared in the Pretoria magistrate’s court on Monday in connection with Satlat’s murder. 

All three face charges of hijacking and murder.

READ: Tshwane mayor urges organised e-hailing networks after driver’s murder

Rala says the combination of social media exposure, the association’s ground efforts and police investigations created mounting pressure.

“We want to applaud social media for giving the search momentum,” he said.

The association says it remains devastated by Satlat’s death but is hopeful that the arrests will lead to justice.

Police are still searching for a fourth suspect.

You May Also Like