NPA considers reinstating Joe Sibanyoni case

JOHANNESBURG - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says it is considering reinstating the matter involving taxi boss Joe ‘Ferrari’ Sibanyoni and his three co-accused.

This after the case was struck off the roll at the Kwaggafontein Magistrate’s Court on Monday after the state prosecutor Mkhuseli Ntaba was a no-show. 

Sibanyoni was appearing alongside three other accused including high-flying businessman Bafana Sindane. They faced allegations of extorting more than R2-million in so-called protection fees from a local mining entrepreneur.

Ntaba, who has now been suspended, was also found guilty of contempt of court and a warrant of arrest issued for him.

READ | Joe “Ferrari” Sibanyoni handed get out of jail free card- for now

Mthunzi Mhanga, NPA spokesperson said the National Director of Public Prosecutions, Advocate Andy Mothini, was engaging with the investigating officer to facilitate the re-enrolment of the case.

“We are reflecting on the order that the magistrate made to determine or ascertain if it is the only legally permissible mechanism that the matter could have been dealt with," Mhlanga told eNCA.

"We are trying to ask ourselves, was the delay really unreasonable when they only made their first appearance last week? Could she not have postponed it? Those are some of the things we are reflecting on on the order. Was it legally sound? We are still making that determination."

Meanwhile, Justice Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi, has welcomed the swift suspension of Ntaba. Kubayi said these kind of failures by state institutions must be avoided to protect public confidence in the justice system.

You May Also Like