JOHANNESBURG - A 57-year-old teacher from a secondary school in Alexandra, North of Johannesburg, has been placed on precautionary suspension following allegations of sexual harassment involving a 17-year-old pupil.
It is alleged that there had been inappropriate communication between the teacher and the Grade 12 pupil.
Gauteng Department of Education spokesperson, Onwabile Lubhelwana, said this alleged communication began in June 2026 and continued through WhatsApp and other interactions.
“This pupil has been receiving texts from this educator. The educator communicates with her, making sexual advances. These include asking the pupil out and that he is going to marry her,” he said.
Lubhelwana said the teacher's precautionary suspension is pending the outcome of the formal investigation.
READ | Teen linked to international child sexual abuse ring faces over 11 charges
“The police are investigating the matter, and the pupil did make a statement.”
The matter escalated on Tuesday as pupils protested outside the school demanding the removal of the teacher
This demonstration saw teaching and learning being disrupted.
“The learners are calling for a fair process in which the department will express that it has heard the matter and there are steps being taken. But at the same time, this also includes that if a teacher is found to have historically been involved in such matters or even now, they are placed in the National Register of Sex Offenders to ensure that such people never deal with children,” he said.
Gauteng MEC for Education, Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation, Lebogang Maile, has expressed deep concern over the allegations
He said he views them in a serious light and maintains that the safety, dignity and wellbeing of pupils must remain paramount.
READ | Second arrest in Durban sex trafficking case
“Educators occupy positions of trust and responsibility. Any allegation of inappropriate conduct towards a learner must be investigated thoroughly and without fear or favour. Our schools must remain safe spaces where learners are protected and respected,” said MEC Maile.
Equally, Maile raised concern over teaching and learning being disrupted amid the protest.
He said schools will implement a recovery plan to address the lost academic time.