Cele: 130 killed in Western Cape in one week

CAPE TOWN - There were 130 murders in the Western Cape in the last week of September.

Now, Police Minister Bheki Cele plans to saturate areas like the Cape Flats and Gugulethu with police.

It will include members from different disciplines of Saps combat units.

Cele says retired detectives will also be brought back.

"As we sharpen our responses to crime, thugs are becoming more brazen and trying to unleash fear and terrorism in communities such as Gugulethu, Manenburg and Ravensmead, where we have seen shootings resulting in multiple deaths," he said.  

"The shootings have been ruthless, killing women and children, professionals, breadwinners and even one of our own, Warrant Officer Lindela Mraqisa was not spared. The close protector to Deputy Police Minister, Cassel Mathale was one of five people killed in a drive-by shooting on Saturday evening in Gugulethu.”

Just a day before this incident, another five people were shot and killed in Gugulethu. But Cele revealed an even more shocking statistic.

"So, while police are making inroads in the fight against crime in this province, it is deeply disturbing and unacceptable that over 100 people were killed in the Western Cape alone in a week.”

Cele says he has a plan to deal with the concerning and unacceptably high crime rate, especially in the Cape metro.  

Paid Content