JOHANNESBURG - The firearm allegedly used in the shooting incident at the Johannesburg home of former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has not yet been found.
The police dog unit is now searching the house after they found cartridges following the shooting.
This was confirmed by Gauteng police spokesperson Dimakatso Nevhuhulwi on Thursday afternoon.
Speaking outside of the high-walled property in Hyde Park, Nevhuhulwi confirmed that a gardener employed at the residence had been shot.
The victim is in a critical condition and has been rushed to the hospital.
READ | Robert Mugabe's son arrested for allegedly shooting employee
Details surrounding the incident are still under investigation. Nevhuhulwi confirmed that two people, aged 33 and 28, have been taken into custody for questioning.
Among those is the former president’s son.
According to Nevhuhulwi, the two suspects were allegedly inside the house when the incident occurred.
Nevhuhulwi said the South African Police Service (SAPS) were alerted to the shooting by private security operating at the high-walled property in Hyde Park, Johannesburg.
She said officers had to knock to gain entry to the premises.
Authorities have since launched an investigation and are combing through the scene.