DStv Channel 403 Thursday, 19 February 2026

Higher Education promises student accommodation amid frustration

CAPE TOWN - The Department of Higher Education has assured students that accommodation challenges are being addressed. 

This as the department tries to make sure that there is a peaceful reopening of the academic program 2026.

Chaos erupted outside Cape Town City Hall after President Cyril Ramaphosa’s State of the Nation Address last week.

Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) students protested a shortage of accommodation, sparking tensions near the SONA venue.

READ | Chaos erupts after SONA as students protest over lack of accommodation

Higher Education Minister Buti Manamela admitted that there has been challenges however, they are turning the corner around that. 

He said the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is responsible for student accommodation for TVET Colleges students. 

Efforts to also build the funds capacity to be able to manage student accommodation on their own are underway.

There have also been reports of students struggling to get their book allowance from the fund. 

But, Manamela said institutions are working together with NSFAS to fast track this process.

Amid this process, students will not be inconvenienced.

You May Also Like