CAPE TOWN - The protection of children should not be an option, says Teddy Bear Clinic Director, Dr Shaheda Omar.
"The senseless shooting of an 11-month-old is a reminder that children are victims of problems they did not create," she says.
On Tuesday night, the baby, her mother and a friend were shot dead in Sunbird Court in Bridgetown, Athlone, after gunmen stormed a home.
Two others were wounded and remain in hospital.
READ: Western Cape ready to receive army to fight against gang violence
Nearly 500 children have been murdered in the Cape Flats over the past five years.
Of those, 157 were confirmed gang-related murders.
In a Parliamentary Q&A last year, acting Police Minister Firoz Cachalia revealed most gang-linked killings were recorded at police stations in Delft, Elsies River, Kleinvlei and Mitchells Plain, areas long plagued by turf wars and gun violence.
In 2024 alone, 333 children were treated at public health facilities in the Western Cape between 1 January and 12 June with firearm-related injuries.
A stark indicator of how often minors are caught in crossfires.
READ: Discussion | Children caught in crossfire as Cape gang wars run rampant
The crisis has prompted national intervention.
During his State of the Nation Address, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that soldiers would be deployed to the Western Cape to assist police in tackling gang violence.
Western Cape Police Commissioner Thembisile Patekile says authorities are ready to receive members of the South African National Defence Force, although details on numbers and deployment timelines are still being finalised.
He confirmed the focus will be on identified hotspot areas and welcomed the intervention, saying it will strengthen efforts to combat murders, gun violence and drug-related crime.
READ: Western Cape ready to receive army to fight against gang violence
'When children are killed in their own communities, it means nowhere is safe,' says Omar.
'Law enforcement is unfortunately not a deterrent,' she adds.
Taking President Cyril Ramaphosa announcement, Omar says they want to see action.
'The psychological wounds will remain,' she says.
Sunbird residents say those living in the house had previously been warned to stop selling drugs. The same property was the scene of a double murder three years ago.
READ: Triple shooting in Athlone leaves baby and two women dead
Western Cape police spokesperson Andre Traut says suspects who fled the scene have not yet been arrested.
“We want to assure the Athlone community that everything in our power is being done to bring these perpetrators before court,” he said.
The tragedy follows other cases that have shocked the province.
In August last year, a three-month-old baby was fatally shot in Bonteheuwel during what was believed to be a gang-related attack.
Local ward councillor Angus McKenzie alleged the infant was caught in gunfire while being held during a targeted shooting.