Brown Mogotsi to remain in custody until 25 May

JOHANNESBURG - Alleged political fixer Brown Mogotsi cut a lonely figure as he made his first court appearance on Monday following his arrest last week.

Mogotsi who spent the weekend in police custody made a brief appearance at the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court. 

The case was postponed to 25 May for the state to verify his address as well as for a formal bail application. He will remain in custody.

Mogotsi is facing five charges including defeating the ends of justice and perjury. His arrest comes after he allegedly staged his own assassination attempt in November last year.

READ | Brown Mogotsi vows to sue state for arrest

He claimed to have escaped unscathed after a hail of bullets hit his car. 

Addressing the court, the State said while Mogotsi provided an address on Monday morning, it was incomplete and still had to be verified by the investigating officer.

“The address that is to be verified is outside the province. Certain logistics are required for the police offices to move from one province to another,” said State prosecutor.

His legal representative Makau William Sekgatja attempted to push for a Thursday postponement, however, the court ruled that the matter would be postponed for seven days. 

You May Also Like