JOHANNESBURG - The Asset Forfeiture Unit has rejected a R1,5-million offer from former ANC MP Vincent Smith in respect of the proceeds of the crimes he was convicted of earlier this year.
The NPA unit says Smith benefited by more than that amount.
Smith pleaded guilty to seven years’ imprisonment on corruption charges linked to kickbacks he received from facilities management company Bosasa.
READ | Former ANC MP Vincent Smith sentenced in corruption trial
This sentencing follows recommendations of the Zondo Commission which investigated state capture.
“After conviction, [Smith] offered asset recovery of R1,5-million and we refused.
"We launched a confiscation application for a full confiscation inquiry to be held and that is a full process. We are in the process of litigating that confiscation application. We are filing our confiscation papers tomorrow [Wednesday] because we appreciate that his benefit was fairly more than the R1.5 million that he was offering," said Chuma Mtengwane of the NPA's Asset Forfeiture Unit.