PRETORIA - A relieved Dumisani Khumalo says he is ready to continue serving the people of South Africa after corruption charges against him were withdrawn.
The Crime Intelligence boss, Brigadier Dineo Mokwele, and other co-accused appeared in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Friday, where the charges against them were formally withdrawn.
The decision follows representations made by the accused and a memorandum from the Investigating Directorate Against Corruption (IDAC).
National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) Andy Mothibi ordered the withdrawal of the charges in July. The case cannot be re-enrolled without his written approval.
WATCH | Judge tells Dumisani Khumalo, Mokwele 'you are free'
Speaking outside court, Khumalo said the charges would not deter him from fighting crime.
“I’m not sure how I feel, but one is ready to continue doing what is right,” he told eNCA.
“This whole issue did not have any impact on our commitment and our calling to serving the people of this country.”
Khumalo said it was concerning that Crime Intelligence officials had been targeted in this way.
“It is very concerning for the country. We tried our best and we are still trying our best for that to not negatively impact our work,” he added.
Read more: Dineo Mokwele application timeline disputed