PRETORIA - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) does not expect new evidence following the unconditional withdrawal of charges against six Crime Intelligence (CI) officials on Friday.
The fraud and corruption charges against CI boss Lieutenant-General Dumisani Khumalo, Brigadier Dineo Mokwele and others are no longer on the court roll.
They appeared before the Pretoria Magistrates Court where the withdrawal was made officially. The group was arrested in June last year and charged with the alleged irregular appointment of Mokwele.
This led to many questions following the appearance of former IDAC head Andrea Johnson's appearance before the Madlanga Commission.
Evidence revealed that the arrests were part of an alleged plot to remove senior police officials from their positions. Khumalo, Mokwele and other accused have consistently denied the allegations against them.
Their arrests became a trigger for KZN Commissioner Lieutenant-General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi's explosive press conference in July last year.
He raised serious allegations about interference and corruption within the criminal justice system.
NPA spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said after reviewing various evidence, including that coming from the Madlanga Commission and Parliament's Ad Hoc Committee, National Director of Public Prosecutions decided to withdraw all charges.
Kganyago says the NPA was under the impression that the Investigating Directorate Against Corruption (IDAC) was looking into the matter and advancing with their investigations.
"With all factors that have come up, you can clearly see that we might not get anything out of it," said Kganyago.
He said that various matters were under review and could not be drawn into what would happen to the case against suspended National Police Commissioner Fannie Masemola.
Masemola has been charged with several others, including controversial businessman Vusimuzi "Cat" Matlala. He is not charged on any crime, however, he is being charged on a violation of the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA).
IDAC head Advocate Andrea Johnson resigned from the organisation after appearing at the Commission. This has prompted the National Director of Public Prosecutions Advocate Andy Mothibi to announce IDAC's reconfiguration.
"We are reviewing their qualifications to see whether they are positioned in the right place," Kganyago told eNCA.
"We are also looking at lifestyle audits of all the people involved with prosecution and investigations," he added.
The NPA has given itself six months to ensure proper process are in place at IDAC.