DStv Channel 403 Thursday, 19 February 2026

The number of children shot in Cape Town gang wars has increased

CAPE TOWN - Another shooting in Cape Town, has left an 11-month-old baby a casualty of continued violence in the Cape Flats.

Three people, including the baby, were shot dead in Athlone on Tuesday.

It is believed that three unknown gunmen entered a home at Sunbird Court in Athlone around 10pm.

READ: Triple shooting in Athlone leaves baby and two women dead

Police who attended the scene said they found two women aged 25 and 36, as well as the baby, with gunshot wounds.

All three were declared dead at the scene. Two others were wounded and are fighting for their lives in hospital.

A week ago, residents of the home were allegedly ordered to stop dealing in drugs.

The motive for the attack is not yet known. This is one of many instances where children have fallen victim.

READ: Three-month-old baby shot and killed in Cape Town

In August, a three-month-old in Bonteheuwel was fatally shot. It's alleged that two men entered the baby's home and fired gunshots in the direction of a woman and the baby.

The attack was believed to be gang-related. The ward councillor in the area, Angus McKezie alleged that the infant was used as a human shield.

READ: Bonteheuwel infant believed to have been used as human shield - Ward Councilor

He alleged the child was in the arms of a man who was being targeted by rival gang members when gunmen opened fire. 

In a Parliament Q and A last year, acting Police Minister Firoz Cachalia revealed that 157 were killed in the violence in the Cape Flats in 5 years. Between the 2020/2021 and 2024/2025 financial years 472 children, under 17 years of age were murdered in the Cape Flats. Of those 157 were gang-related.

According to the parliamentary reply, most of the gang-related murders were recorded at the Delft, Elsies River, Kleinvlei and Mitchells Plain police stations.

In 2024 a total of 333 children with firearm-related injuries were treated at public health facilities in the Western Cape between 1 January and 12 June.

READ: Discussion | Children caught in crossfire as Cape gang wars run rampant

Community members have had enough. President Cyril Ramaphosa announced during his SONA speech that soldiers will be deployed in the Western Cape and Gauteng. In the former, to deal with gang violence, in the former to deal with illegal mining.

Police authorities in the Western Cape are ready to receive the SANDF members deployed to fight against gang violence in the province. 

According to Western Cape Police Commissioner Thembisile Patekile, it is yet to be discussed how many members will be deployed and when they will hit the ground running.

READ: Western Cape ready to receive army to fight against gang violence

He confirmed, however, that they will focus on hot spot areas. 

Patekile welcomed the deployment, saying it will assist in their fight in dealing divisively with murders, gun violence and drugs in the province.

Residents where the 11-month-old was killed, two people were shot and killed in the same house three years ago.

Western Cape Police spokesperson, Andre Traut says the suspects who fled the scene are yet to be arrested.

"We want to assure the Athlone community that everything in our power is being done to bring these perpetrators in court," he said.

You May Also Like