DStv Channel 403 Wednesday, 19 August 2026

CMA vows 2027 Comrades will go ahead despite ASA standoff

DURBAN - The Comrades Marathon Association is confident that the 2027 Centenary event will go ahead without incident.

The CMA has been at loggerheads with KwaZulu-Natal Athletics (KZNA) for almost a year over how the race should be staged.

CMA Chairperson Mark Leathers says the federation is merely fighting for relevance. 

He says the CMA knows what it brings to the table, while KZNA cannot say the same about how it adds value to the marathon.

Earlier this month, 79 percent of the CMA board voted to cut ties with KZNA and Athletics South Africa (ASA).

The CMA says both bodies add minimal value to the ultra-marathon while taking significant revenue through race levies, licence fees and broadcast rights.

READ: ASA and CMA tug of war over 2027 Comrades Marathon

On Tuesday, ASA distanced itself from the race and said it would not sanction it.

"They are not needed for anything in the safety and planning aspect," Leathers says.

He says the CMA planned the race independently until about a decade ago and is capable of continuing to do so.

Leathers says the CMA does not need KZNA or ASA to secure municipal approvals or arrange safety measures, adding that the association has managed these aspects itself for almost 100 years.

He says a task team was appointed to mediate between the three organisations and find common ground. The parties even held discussions on Tuesday, which appeared to be amicable.

However, Leathers says the CMA was blindsided by ASA's announcement that it would not sanction the 2027 race.

You May Also Like