DStv Channel 403 Friday, 20 February 2026

Bellarmine Mugabe's arrest, Sibiya denies everything, Springs residents go for gold

JOHANNESBURG - In a very strange end to the week, former Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe's son, Bellarmine Mugabe was arrested in the family's Hyde Park home in Johannesburg on Thursday.

It is alleged he shot a 23-year-old gardener, after an apparent dispute. The gardener is in a critical condition in hospital after he was able to run out of the house, into the street, where he got assistance.

READ: Mugabe's son, co-accused due in court on Monday

Private security operating at the high-walled property called the police who, after some time, were able to gain access to the property.

Mugabe (28) and another man (33) were arrested and will appear in court on Monday on a charge of attempted murder.

READ: Robert Mugabe's son arrested for allegedly shooting employee

However, the police still have not found the firearm used in the shooting. Despite a cartridge being found at the property, police and their K9 unit were unable to locate it.

READ: Firearm allegedly used in shooting at Mugabe family home yet to be found - police

Later in the evening, the diving unit was called to comb through the swimming pool. Subsequently, the pool was emptied to no avail.

The search continues. Vehicles on the property, some found with police sirens and blue lights installed, which is illegal, have been confiscated.

READ: Police probe attempted murder after shooting at Mugabe family home

The Mugabe family lawyer Ashel Mugiya said the family was aware of the arrest but deferred comment on legal proceedings in South Africa.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on his 66th birthday on Thursday.

The former Prince has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct while acting as a UK trade envoy.

READ: UK police arrest ex-prince Andrew on suspicion of misconduct

He was stripped of his title last year after being linked to American pedophile and sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein.

READ: British public cheer Andrew's arrest with a smile and relief

Police also searched two of his properties, following revelations in newly released US documents that potentially confidential reports were shared with Epstein. 

A total of six people have now been arrested for the murder of an e-hailing driver in Pretoria West.

Twenty-two-year-old Isaac Satlat was strangled to death inside his vehicle in Atteridgeville. The vehicle and his body were found in the area.

READ: Three more suspects appear in court over killing of e-hailing driver Isaac Satlat

A video of the attack went viral on social media. Social media and digital tracking tools played a pivotal role in tracking down suspects linked to the murder.

Association chairperson Wandisile Rala says the widespread sharing of the video helped members identify one of the suspects while they were conducting their own ground search.

READ: E-hailing association credits social media for break in murder case

At first, Dikeledi Mphela (25) was the first to hand herself over. Gotseone Machidi (26) and McClaren Mushwana (30) were arrested later and appeared with Mphela at Pretoria's Magistrate's Court on Monday.

They face charges of murder and car hijacking.

READ: Fourth suspect hands himself over in murder of Pretoria e-hailing driver

A fourth suspect handed themselves to the police on Monday. Tumishang Mogau Mabutla (23), Ofentse Senwamadi (18) and Thabang Kenneth Mothwa (27) appeared at the Pretoria Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.

READ: Vehicle owner shaken after e-hailing driver murder in Pretoria West

According to the NPA, Mabutla is facing charges of premeditated murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances. Senwamadi is charged with premeditated murder and robbery with aggravating circumstances as an accessory after the fact.

READ: Fourth suspect linked to murder of Pretoria e-hailing driver in court

Mothwa faces a charge of robbery with aggravating circumstances as an accessory after the fact.

The case has been postponed to 23 February.

Residents at the Gugulethu informal settlement in Springs, east of Johannesburg, this they have struck gold.

Residents rushed a kraal in the area, with shovels and pick axes, hoping to strike it rich after someone alleged that they found seven grams of gold in the kraal.

READ: IN PICS |Armed with spades and buckets, residents hunt for gold in Springs

The land on which the kraal is belongs to Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality and was given to the community for the purpose of agricultural use.

Department of Mineral and Petroleum Resources spokesperson Lerato Ntsoko condemned the activity near the Gugulethu informal settlement, urging hopeful miners to engage with the department for lawful permits and to practise safe, environmentally responsible mining.

READ: EXPLAINER | Illegal mining leads to dangerous mercury exposure

Mining expert David van Wyk also warned that the excitement may be misplaced, noting that gold is rarely found on agricultural land, even near old mine dumps.

He highlighted safety risks, especially for children involved in bucket-and-spade digging.

READ: Springs residents defy authorities in hunt for gold

One woman said she arrived at the site on Wednesday after hearing that others around the area were already digging.

She claims she managed to get gold but sold it to make money and buy food for her children.

Law enforcement have, in the week, tried various ways to get people off the land and to stop digging. However, they say they will not stop.

Suspended Deputy National Police Commissioner for Crime Detection Shadrack Sibiya appeared at the Mdlanga Commission on Wednesday.

That is after Witness F failed to appear before the Commission on Monday, citing illness.

READ: Witness F hospitalised, testimony at Madlanga Commission moved to March

Witness F’s legal representatives filed an application requesting a postponement. His appearance has been postponed to 16 March.

At his first appearance earlier this month, the commission grilled the witness for allegedly sharing police information with alleged criminal cartel members.

READ: Sibiya admits professional ties with Witness F

After that testimony, Witness F attempted to block his return to the commission.

His lawyers filed an urgent interdict at the Pretoria  High Court, citing fears of self-incrimination.

READ: Shadrack Sibiya back in hot seat at Madlanga Commission

But they withdrew that application last week, paving the way for his return to the hot seat.

Sibiya has admitted that he shares a personal relationship with Witness F.

READ: Shadrack Sibiya to begin four-day testimony at Madlanga Commission

While acknowledging the close relationship between them, he said it was untrue that Witness F worked under his command or worked as a middleman for the passing of money through him.

READ: Sibiya tells Madlanga Commission Mkhwanazi social media popularity 'orchestrated'

While conceding that he enjoyed a closed relationship with Witness F, Sibiya said he was not the only senior SAPS official with close ties to the witness.

READ: Sibiya denies ordering PKTT dockets to be brought to Gauteng from KZN

Meanwhile, suspended Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Police Department (EMPD) Deputy Chief Julius Mkhwanazi will be served with an additional charge sheet. 

He is also expected to appear before the City’s Disciplinary Committee. 

This was confirmed by Ekurhuleni Executive Mayor Nkosindiphile Xhakaza on Monday.

The details of the fresh charges have not yet been disclosed; however, they follow after Mkhwanazi faced allegations relating to the approval of blue lights being fitted to private vehicles belonging to Vusimusi ‘Cat’ Matlala.

READ: Julius Mkhwanazi served new charge sheet, set for disciplinary hearing

Xhakaza also revealed the suspension of the City’s Head of Legal Services, Kemi Behari, and Head of Human Resources, Linda Qxasheka.

The suspensions form part of the City’s ongoing programme of institutional renewal aimed at strengthening governance and accountability.

All three officials have been implicated at the Madlanga Commission.

Behari has denied accusations of corruption, maintaining there is no evidence linking him to any wrongdoing. 

READ: Ekurhuleni metro suspends two senior officials

He claims the allegations are part of a campaign to tarnish his reputation.

Meanwhile, Qxasheka was implicated by former Employee Relations Head Xolani Nciza as one of the people who failed to discipline Mkhwanazi. 

You May Also Like